This three-day course has been designed to introduce a variety of perspectives on leadership in the public and private sector. The course aims to enable leaders and decision makers to introduce fit-for-purpose leadership styles and approaches to their organisations.
At the end of the course attendees should be able to acquire a comprehensive knowledge and practical experience about leadership styles and approaches in alignment with the local needs and capabilities. Moreover, after competition of the course, attendees to write a report, supported by the tutor, of what they have learnt and what is particularly relevant to their employers. A focus to be one aspect of the course which has implications for the way they will improve their professional practice when they return to their employers. This will help reassure the employers of the benefits of the programme and help consolidate the understanding of the manager.
What are the objectives?
- This integrative course aims to develop a deeper understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects to leadership, and to develop the essential skills and competencies necessary to plan, monitor and control different tasks and events.
- Develop an understanding of the different approaches to leadership and management.
- This course will also complement the different management skills already developed through earlier business and management courses.
- In addition, participants will have insight into: critical analysis; interactive and team working; creativity; and problem solving.
What will you learn?
- Introduction to leadership
- Difference between leadership and management
- Leadership skills and tactics
- Effective leadership
- Lessons learned from great leaders
- Speaking in public places
- How to become an aspiring leader
Who should attend?
- The workshop covers materials for all levels from supervisory through to senior level
- Managers and directors responsible for transformation, project, programme, knowledge, innovation or change management
- Experienced managers who have significant futures oriented management responsibilities, and who are interested in reflecting on their own experience and discovering new ideas
- Public, voluntary and private sector managers responsible for leading change and transformation efforts
- Academics including researchers and students who are interested in KM and in being part of an engaging educational experience that explore the challenges and opportunities that face organizations
- For each session there is an activity or set of activities. These are designed to help you engage with the introduction to the theories explored within the workshop
- Your tutor will be on hand to guide you through the course and will expect you to bring to bear personal experience and reflection on the topics covered
- Group work will be required for participants to engage in the workshop. Such activity allows participants to embed the new knowledge within their experience through active discussion and challenge
Included in the course fee, the following learning materials will be provided:
- All overhead slides/transparencies.
- Case studies (print and video) used on the course.
- Certificate of attendance from MEKEI and Brighton Business School, University of Brighton, UK
About the facilitator
Professor Allam Ahmed
Middle Eastern Knowledge Economy Institute, UK